IN THE BEGINNING
Aspley House Bowls Club was set up by Dr Brightman, (Broadstairs Council Chairman during WW1), who lived in Apsley House in Broadstairs High Street. The rinks were laid out in his back garden facing what is now Lawn Road in 1917 and were mainly used by returning servicemen at the end of the War.
When Dan Mason gifted the Memorial Recreation Ground to the town in 1921 by way of his personal thanks to the troops, he set up a bowling green in the grounds, (now the present Broadstairs Bowls Club), closing not only his
personal double bowling rink in Pierremont Park, but also closing the Apsley House Bowls Club.
If anyone has any pics or info we could ad, please contact us.